Monday, April 26, 2010

Wedding bells for Olympic gymnast, Kerri Strug


Former gold medal gymnast Kerri Strug just got married. Nice story in Sunday's New York Times.

She's 32 and a project manager for the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention in Washington. Her new husband, Robert William Fischer III, is a lawyer in the Washington Congressional office of Representative Lamar Smith, a Republican from Texas.

The couple met two years ago through a mutual friend.

The article tells of the couple's courtship. It also touches on the tough choices - uneven bars, yes; boys, no - that Strug made to become a champion.

From the Times:

Ms. Strug, who acknowledged “not dating much and living a sheltered life” during her gymnastics career, said that she felt an immediate connection with Mr. Fischer.

“I don’t believe in love at first sight, but I was very attracted to him,” she remembered. “My entire adolescence was geared toward one thing: gymnastics. It’s like I was living in this big gymnastics bubble. I never went to my high school dance, and didn’t date much, so my criteria for dating men was really just put together in theory, not practice.”

No comments: