Friday, February 19, 2010

After apology Tiger reminds us he cares about kids



Two references to kids during this morning's Tiger Woods' (I let the whole world down) speech. That was about one too many.

What he said about being a hero to kids - and how that's over - showed humility.

"Parents used to point to me as a role model for their kids. I owe all those families a special apology. I want to say to them: I am truly sorry. "

A tortured detour in the text about Tiger's kids' golf foundation was way out of place.

"To everyone involved in my foundation, including my staff and most important the young students we reach, our work is more important than ever. Thirteen years ago, my dad and I envisioned young people achieving their dreams through education. This work remains unchanged and will continue to grow. To the Learning Center students in Southern California to the Earl Woods Scholars in Washington DC, millions of kids have changed their lives. I am dedicated to making sure that continues."

In a speech about marital infidelity?

Tiger isn't the only fallen athlete seeking salvation in being nice to kids. Brett Singer had a great piece on this.

No comments: