Friday, November 24, 2006

Youth sports injuries close to home

This is my full-disclosure post. We're dealing with the fallout of a youth sports injury in my house these days. Next month, my son, a baseball pitcher, is scheduled to undergo an ulnar collateral ligament reconstruction - I've written it enough so that I even know how to spell it. UCL reconstruction is better known by the name it has acquired in newspapers over the years - Tommy John surgery. My son had his share of arm problems during his youth baseball playing days. The big injury - the rupture of his elbow ligament - occurred in the next-to-last game of his high school baseball career. That was last May. I've done quite a bit of reflecting on what I might have done to prevent the injury. I'll be reflecting on events leading up to and after the surgery in the book.

No comments: