Monday, August 17, 2009

Youth sports word of the day: Moderation

On The Takeaway this morning, I joined a panel discussing a Tufts University study about kids' sports and kids' emotional health. My shorthand version of the study's conclusions: Children who do little or nothing with their leisure time except play sports are sometimes bullies and frequently not well-adjusted.

This is the latest in a rapidly rising stack of medical treatises that, seems to me, could be misinterpreted as discouraging sports play for kids. In fact, the researchers point out that sports are key to a child's healthy development, when combined with a range of activities including - prominently, in the Tufts's research - 4H.

Quite logical in my mind. I can't imagine a parent - even the over-the-top kind - disagreeing.

No comments: