Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Why not to tamper with your kid's Little League bat

Little League Baseball recently posted a statement on its web site noting that tampering with LL approved bats to "increase their performance" is strictly prohibited.

The statement includes this interesting detail. So far, LL headquarters "has not received any reports of Little League volunteers or players making alterations to bats."

So why issue the statement?

Apparently, it's in response to a tampering trend in college baseball. Several coaches, notably Vanderbilt's Tim Corbin, have questioned whether bats used by players on opposing teams have been doctored. Division I teams got a memo from the NCAA informing them that during the post-season tournament (leading to the College World Series) random bat tests are being conducted.

My question: How do you tamper with a metal bat? Personally, I've never remotely been tempted to tinker with my kids' bats, for reasons both ethical and economic. (i.e., fear of destroying a $300 investment). But college hitters are more than intrigued, according to this very good article in the Birmingham News.

Kudos to Little League for staying ahead of the problem, which, to this point, I guess, isn't a problem.

1 comment:

Cal said...

I would hate to have my kid be a pitcher, or be a pitcher myself if this happening. Some pitcher is going to be hurt or killed by a line drive to the head if this practice is, or becomes, pervasive. Especially since pitchers are not wearing any protective helmets on the mound.

How long will the insurance companies, who I assume cover Little League Inc. and the NCAA, allow this to continue before they refuse to renew their policies with these organizations?

Not for long I would think, especially in this economic climate.